Crazy Caruso's do Chicago!

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Day 16

Today was an interesting day at work to say the least. It started out normal enough but quickly morphed into chaos. Here's why:

9:35 -lights flicker and we lost 1/2 of the power to the hotel

9:35 and 10sec: I get an emergency call from the elevator telling me they were stuck.

9:35 and 45sec: Person is rescued from the elevator.

9:37 I realize that my phones aren't working, but my computers are.

For the next hour maintenance, Duke energy, and Huston electric tried to figure out what the issue was. It turns out that our transformer had blown. Why we had 1/2 of our power still, is a mystery.

10:45 We find out that in order to fix the issues 1. they have to cut down a tree 2. they have to find a new transformer 3. they have to cut our power off entirely to fix it

11:30 my phones begin to work again, unfortunately my link to the reservation system is down and I cannot make reservations.

11:45 The new guy that had been hired for a maintenance position and had been here for 4 hours quit.

1:45 we get a 15 minute warning that the power will be pulled.

1:46 I get 3 people at my desk wanting to ask the most trivial questions that I can't answer, while I am desperately trying to back up all of my work.

1:55 sprint to meeting room to tell the Japanese guys that they are going to lose power, they were thrilled...

2:00 Total power failure

2:03 Karen the GM of my hotel and Homewood came over to work on bills in our back office?! in the dark. I got her some flashlights.

It was really creepy with no power. I felt like I had been plunged into a horror film.

After my crazy day at work I headed out to get a few Michael gifts and stopped by Target, then met Samantha, Josiah, and Julie at the movie theater. We saw It's Complicated. It was hilarious.

After the movie I headed home did some cleaning, talked to Michael and that was just about it.


No comments: